Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sabbath

During my visit with a Spiritual Director at the Vancouver School of Theology, I had some time to reflect on the importance of Sabbath. Having just come from a rich conversation with a rabbi who directs the Iona Pacific Inter-religious Center, I was mindful of how Sabbath is observed by people of Jewish faith- especially the holy rest it provides from all forms of labor. As a Lutheran preacher, I am always obliged to work on the day we Christians call the Sabbath. In Martin Luther’s Small Catechism, he says that the commandment to keep the Sabbath day holy means that “we are to fear and love God so that we do not neglect God’s Word and the preaching of it, but regard it as holy and gladly hear and learn it.” So, on our Sabbath day, I’m booked solid. However, if I want to experience Sabbath, rest, I can follow Luther’s advice and designate another day or time for the receiving of that gift. In his “Pastor’s Guide to Spiritual Formation,” Luther says “the spiritual rest which God especially intends in this commandment is that we not only cease from our labor and trade but much more-that we let God alone work in us and that in all our powers do we do nothing of our own.” That sounds good to me! I admit that I rarely create space in the week for this more radical observance of Sabbath, but I guess that is part of the change that I am seeking in my life. My Spiritual Director recalled the way in which another rabbi had explained his own strict observance of Sabbath rest. In my paraphrase of what I heard, the rabbi said: “Ceasing all labor for twenty four hours each week is something I must do. And, if I manage to do this every week of every month of every year, until the time I grow old, then maybe, just maybe, I’ll be able to graciously step away from my life work without fearing that things will fall apart without me. And, maybe, I’ll be able to come to the end of my life remembering with joy that God’s world will go on without me.” I like that perspective! It inspires me to let this sabbatical journey lead me toward some form of weekly observance of Sabbath rest that honors words of wisdom such as these.

1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful for your posts that allow me to journey with you on your sabbatical.

    ReplyDelete